15 July 2018
Today's Datomic Cloud release provides an easy way to parameterize ion applications.
At runtime, applications need access to configuration data such as the name of a Datomic database. There are several challenges to consider:
- Configuration values have a lifecycle that is independent of application source code. They should not be hard-coded in the application, and should be managed separately from source code.
- Applications need a way to obtain their configuration values at runtime.
- Configuration values may be sensitive, and should not be stored or conveyed as plaintext.
Parameters are a solution to these challenges.
Before running your app, you store parameter values under hierarchical keys in AWS Systems Manager Parameter Store
. At runtime, your app uses our new APIs to form the keys and read the values. This provides:
- independent lifecycle for parameter values
- encryption for sensitive data
- granular IAM permissions
To get started using Datomic's parameter support: